If you suffer from acid reflux in Rochester, Victor, Pittsford, Webster, Fairpoint, or Brighton, NY, Dr. Prasad Penmetsa, Dr. Surinder Devgun, and Dr. Ari Chodos at Rochester Gastroenterology Associates can help you find relief.
8 Common Symptoms of Acid Reflux
If you have one or more of the following symptoms, there is a good chance that you have acid reflux and should visit your gastroenterologist. If you live in or around Rochester, Victor, Pittsford, Webster, Fairpoint, or Brighton, NY, Dr. Penmetsa, Dr. Devgun, and Dr. Chodos can provide you with a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Heartburn: Heartburn is one of the most common signs a person is suffering from acid reflux. It's a burning sensation or pain that can extend from your stomach all the way up to your throat.
- Nausea: Chronic nausea is another top sign of acid reflux. However, there can be other root causes of nausea. It’s most likely due to acid reflux when it comes in conjunction with other related symptoms.
- Difficulty swallowing: Acid reflux can damage the throat and cause it to constrict. This can make it difficult to swallow or may make it feel as though your food is scratching your throat as it goes down.
- Excessive saliva: When something enters the throat, the body responds by creating saliva to wash it down. As reflux involves acid constantly trying to come up, it normally leads to excessive saliva. This is especially true after eating but can occur at any point.
- Experiencing a strange taste: The acidic fluids that come up the esophagus leave a strange taste behind, often making food seem bitter.
- Regurgitation: Most people that have acid reflux suffer after eating. Typically, this suffering comes in the form of feeling as though food is slowly creeping back up.
- Feeling a lump in your throat: Some people with acid reflux feel as though there is a lump in their throat, similar to the sensation people with allergies often feel. If you have this sensation in addition to other symptoms listed here, it’s likely due to acid reflux.
- Coughing and sore throat: Acid reflux often damages the throat, which leaves it sore. It can also lead to dryness and chronic coughing.
Don’t let acid reflux keep coming up. For residents of Rochester, Victor, Pittsford, Webster, Fairpoint, or Brighton, NY, Dr. Penmetsa, Dr. Devgun, and Dr. Chodos at Rochester Gastroenterology Associates can help you achieve relief from your symptoms. Schedule an appointment in Linden Oaks by calling (585) 267-4040 or in Canal Landing by calling (585) 227-1080.